The O’Hare Noise Compatibility Commission met on Friday, September 8, 2017. The Commission was honored to welcome Dr. Alan H. Epstein, Vice President for Technology and Environment, Pratt & Whitney.

Dr. Epstein is responsible for setting the direction for and coordinating technology across the company. He leads Pratt & Whitney’s efforts to identify and evaluate new methods to improve engine performance and fuel efficiency. He also provides strategic leadership in the investment, development, and incorporation of technologies that reduce the environmental impact of Pratt & Whitney’s world-wide products and services.

The next ONCC meeting will be held on Friday, September 8, 2017 at Cafe la Cave (2777 S. Mannheim Road, Des Plaines, IL) @ 8 a.m.

At this meeting, the ONCC will hear from Dr. Alan H. Epstein, Vice President for Technology and Environment, Pratt & Whitney.

Dr. Epstein is responsible for setting the direction for and coordinating technology across the company. He leads Pratt & Whitney’s efforts to identify and evaluate new methods to improve engine performance and fuel efficiency. He also provides strategic leadership in the investment, development, and incorporation of technologies that reduce the environmental impact of Pratt & Whitney’s world-wide products and services.

Read More

The ONCC Ad Hoc Fly Quiet Committee met on August 30, 2017.

Fly Quiet Runway Rotation Test 2 Draft Report

  • Chicago Department of Aviation (CDA) staff gave a presentation on the draft report for Fly Quiet Runway Rotation Test 2. Highlights of the report included:
  • The average daily Fly Quiet start time was 10:41 p.m.; stop time was 5:44 a.m.
  • The average daily Rotation start time was 11:32 p.m.; stop time was 5:14 a.m.
  • Each runway at O’Hare is required by the FAA to be closed throughout the night for approximately one hour in order to perform a proper runway safety inspection for FAR Part 139. During this time, a configuration will stop and typically resumes after the safety inspection is complete.
  • The results of Test 2 show that 55 percent of the aircraft operations that occurred during the Fly Quiet Hours utilized the designated rotation runways. There was an average of 115 operations per night, 63 of which operated on designated runways. The remaining 45 percent of the operations were not on the designated runways due to reasons such as runway rubber removal, flight checks, wind conditions, weather or construction.
  • 1,606 survey responses submitted, which originated from 759 unique IP addresses.
  • Survey results show that 66.6% of the total survey responses believe that the Test should continue. Based on unique IP addresses received, 49.7% believe that the Test should continue.
    CDA staff will take comments on the draft report through Sept. 13. The final report will be presented to the Committee at their next meeting.

On August 24, 2017, ONCC members were invited to participate in a tour of the O'Hare Airfield. Members visited the new Northeast Cargo Ramp, Firefighter Training Area, viewed snow removal equipment, construction of new runway 9C/27C and construction of new gates at Terminal 3.

 

The CDA is publishing a slight change to the Runway Rotation Test schedule for Test 3 Week 5 (Week of August 20th). The FAA is working on a navigational aid called a localizer for Runway 9R-27L. 

For more information about a localizer, please visit the CDA website here

The only change to Week 5 is an added green arrow to depict a departure construction alternative, specifically departures on Runway 10L in the Secondary configuration. All versions of the Fly Quiet rotation scheduled have been updated posted to the CDA’s project website.

At the Technical Committee Meeting on August 15, 2017, CDA staff presented an update on noise monitors, reviewed the 2nd Quarter Fly Quiet Report, presented recent Airfield Changes and Relocation of the GRE.

Technical Committee Meeting Documents

O’Hare Airport's Fly Quiet Runway Rotation Test 3 started the evening of July 23, 2017.O’Hare Airport's Fly Quiet Runway Rotation Test 3 started the evening of July 23, 2017.

This is the third in a series of runway rotation tests designed to provide near-term relief, reduce nighttime noise to the highest impacted communities and provide predictability by publishing a rotation schedule that allows citizens to predict periods of relief to the extent possible.

Test 3 was approved by the O'Hare Noise Compatibility Commission (ONCC) general membership in June, and was then submitted by the Chicago Department of Aviation to the Federal Aviation Administration for its approval. The test will be in place for a period of 12 weeks and incorporates 5 runways: 4L/22R, 9R/27L, 10L/28R, 10C/28C and 22L/4R. Test 3 does not include runway 15/33 which is slated to be decommissioned in spring 2018. Each new week will begin on Sunday evening at 10 p.m. or when demand allows for one arrival and one departure runway.